President Rodrigo Duterte, DOE Secretary Alfonso Cusi and other Cabinet Members during a Cabinet Meeting held yesterday (13 July) in Ormoc City.
(Taguig City). Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi told President Rodrigo Duterte in Ormoc City on Thursday afternoon that the supply of electricity in areas of the Visayas affected by the recent earthquake will noticeably improve by the end of the month.
Cusi relayed the latest timeline on the power restoration efforts in Region 8, Bohol and Ormoc City during a visit by the President and Cabinet members to the quake-stricken areas in this city.
The Energy chief gave the assurance that his department has been working nonstop to normalize power in the affected areas, citing reports by the National Electrification Administration (NEA), National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) and Energy Development Corp. (EDC).
Subject to NGCP’s successful restoration of Transformer 6, “We expect a total of 309 megawatts (MW) of available capacity by July 19,” Sec. Cusi announced Friday (14 July).
“These capacities can serve the total demand of electricity for the affected areas of Region VIII (Samar and Leyte Provinces) and Bohol, which is at 291 MW,” Sec. Cusi said.
DOE Undersecretary Felix William Fuentebella had earlier called an emergency meeting attended by representatives from the NEA, Region 8 Electric Cooperatives, NGCP and EDC to provide updates and work timelines on the power restoration.
Based on the reports, there will be available capacities coming in from the EDC-run geothermal power plants: July 16 with 269 MW, July 19 additional 40 MW from its Tongonan geothermal power plant totaling to 309 MW by Wednesday next week.
All available capacities by end of July is expected to reach 322 MW.
"We will continue to explore all options available for Leyte, Samar and Bohol islands."
The DOE is also coordinating with the Energy Regulatory Commission to ensure compliance of electricity service providers with the required standards and the alignment in crafting resiliency policies.