WORLD OIL PRICES (August 28 - September 01, 2017)
Dubai crude has decreased week-on-week by more than US$ 0.40/bbl. MOPS gasoline, kerosene and diesel all have increased by over US$ 1.00 per barrel. Gasoline futures surged more than 13 per cent on Thursday as almost a quarter of US refining capacity remained offline.
Reasons for the Adjustment
- Crude oil prices rose during the trading week, contrary to the expectations of the OPEC-member countries, as oil traders focused more on Hurricane Harvey’s hit on oil demand than the impact on supply disruptions.
- Reuters reported of spreading concerns over falling demand in the world’s top oil consuming country after tropical storm Harvey knocked out almost a quarter of the refineries in Texas.
- Hurricane Harvey brought record flooding to the U.S. oil heartland of Texas and has paralyzed at least 4.4 million barrels per day (mbpd) of refining capacity.
- Analysts called the status of US refineries a key to oil prices, i.e.:
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch: “The disruptions in recent days may delay the ongoing global crude oil rebalancing process”
- Goldman Sachs and Stifel: US outages would probably last several months; others said higher gasoline prices might prompt operational refineries to delay typical September seasonal maintenance.
Overall, shrinking crude stocks and expectations for rising growth in global demand meant analysts in a monthly Reuters poll raised their oil price forecasts for the first time in six months.
FOREX: Week-on-week value of Peso appreciated against the US dollar by P0.02 to P51.17 from P51.18 in the preceding week.
Other recommended reference sites:
DOMESTIC OIL PRICES
Effective 05 September 2017, most of the oil companies have increased their prices by P0.40 both for gasoline and diesel. Price of kerosene also increased by P0.50/liter.
Year-to-date total adjustments stand at a net increase of P3.19/liter in gasoline and P2.10/liter in diesel.
As monitored, shown below are the retail prices in Metro Manila beginning 05 September 2017.
|Products||Price Range||Common Price|
|LPG, P/11-kg cylinders||470.00-720.00|
* RON 95
For more information, call the