The Philippines continued to be self-sufficient in natural gas with 100% of its production amounting to 155,495 million standard cubic feet (mmscf) is mainly sourced from the offshore Malampaya gas field. Total volume of indigenous natural gas supplied to power and industrial sector accounts for 149,007 mmscf reflecting a 2.57 percent increased against the year ago level of 145,273 mmscf. Power generation accounted for the highest share in usage of 98 percent and the remaining 2 percent is utilized by the industrial sector.
This year, natural gas contributes 29.72 percent of the Luzon generation mix alongside other energy sources such as coal, geothermal, hydro, oil and other renewable energy sources like wind, solar & biomass.
Remarkably, there is a volume disparity of 6,488 mmscf between what has been supplied from the Malampaya gas field against the actual recorded demand. The difference can be attributed to flaring, gas heating, venting and purging of natural gas at the platform, onshore-gas-Plant (OGP) facility, own use power plants, and linepack in the 504 km natural gas pipeline.