To address the influx of generation capacity in the Mindanao Grid in 2016 which necessitated a mechanism for efficient scheduling, dispatch and settlement of energy transactions, the DOE promulgated Department Circular No. DC2017-05-0009 entitled "Declaring the Launch of the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market (WESM) in Mindanao and Providing for Transition Guidelines". The said Circular was signed by Secretary Alfonso G. Cusi on 4 May 2017, published in two newspapers of general circulation on 23 May 2017 and became effective on 7 June 2017.
Through the said policy issuance, the WESM was officially launched in Mindanao on 26 June 2017, which also signaled the start of Trial Operations. Commercial operations will commence upon compliance to the criteria set out in Section 4 of the DC2017-05-0009. Following are the relevant information to this undertaking.
a. Department Circulars
- Department Circular No. DC2017-05-0009 entitled "Declaring the Launch of the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market (WESM) In Mindanao And Providing For Transition Guidelines"
- Summary of Comments and Responses on the Launch of WESM in Mindanao
- Draft Department Circular entitled "Establishing Mindanao Wholesale Electricity Spot Market (WESM) Transition Committee"
b. Advisories / Announcements
- Advisory on the Mandatory Registration to the Mindanao WESM
- Advisory: Effectivity of Department Circular No. DC2017-05-0009